When considering dental implants to restore your smile, it is normal to have questions concerning treatment. Here are a few questions to ask your dentist during your consultation.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are strong, stable, and long-lasting, and the best replacement for your natural teeth. Implants have been used for decades to replace one or more missing teeth with great success, giving you a similar look, feel, fit, and function as your natural teeth.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
For patients with unhealthy natural teeth or multiple missing teeth in an arch, the dentist may recommend implant placement to anchor bridges and dentures.
Your dentist may also recommend implants to:
- Fill gaps in your mouth after tooth removal to prevent remaining teeth from shifting
- Restore your speech, chewing, and digestion ability
- Restore your smile
- Restore or enhance your facial features
- Support a denture or bridge for added comfort
- Resolve bite problems or joint pain due to shifting teeth
What can I expect during the procedure?
Most patients with healthy gum and bone tissue are good candidates for dental implants. The treatment usually requires multiple visits to the dentist over a period of several months as follows:
- First visit: Consultation to determine your suitability for dental implants and tooth/teeth extraction
- Second visit: Surgical placement of the implant into the jawbone. Following the procedure, you should change your diet to soft and cold foods and warm soup to facilitate healing. Healing takes several months.
- Third visit: Placement of the artificial tooth or teeth onto the implant. During the healing process, the dentist will customize a new tooth or crown based on the size, shape, fit, and color of adjacent teeth to give you a uniform smile. When replacing multiple teeth, one implant may be used to support multiple bridges or dentures may be used.
To find out if dental implants are right for you, please contact your dentist in Austin TX to schedule a consultation.