Invisalign is a modern teeth straightening treatment based on a rather technical process.
Unlike traditional metal braces that are permanently fixed to your teeth and require you to visit your dentist regularly for adjustments, clear Invisalign aligners are comfortable, removable, and don’t impose any restrictions on your diet. Each set of aligners is worn for about 14 days before switching to a different set as you move your teeth.
The Invisalign aligners are worn day and night, and you can easily interact with people without them noticing your treatment. You only need to remove them when eating and brushing your teeth, or when you need to clean them.
Who is the ideal patient for Invisalign?
Many teenagers usually feel embarrassed and are afraid of being ridiculed by their peers for wearing traditional braces. Adults, on the other hand, may miss out on great social and professional opportunities if they’re not confident with their smile.
Fortunately, both teens and adults can benefit from the use of Invisalign clear aligners to straighten their teeth, provided you comply with the directions of your orthodontist. Here are some things to keep in mind if you’re considering whether Invisalign is right for you:
- Aligners should be worn for a minimum of 20 to 22 hours per day
- Remove your clear Invisalign braces before consuming any meal
- It is normal to feel some pressure as you advance to the next set of aligners
- Only progress to the next set of aligners after your dentist has instructed you to do so
- Failing to change your Invisalign tray at the recommended time will delay your tooth movement
- Clean your aligners as instructed, making sure to avoid dangerous chemicals and temperatures that may cause warping or irreversible damage
Since Invisalign is a treatment that you progress on your own, you don’t need to visit your Invisalign dentist in Austin as often as another orthodontic patient using metal braces. However, make sure you visit your dentist at the recommended time, like every 6-8 weeks, for a brief evaluation to ensure that your treatment is moving along properly, and to take the next batch of Invisalign aligners.