For anyone desiring to repair their smile, it is important to understand all the possible cosmetic dental options available depending on your condition. If you are missing a tooth or multiple teeth, your dentist may recommend dental implants to improve your smile. Dental implants are a trusted solution for tooth replacement because of the durability and functionality they provide for long-term care.
Understanding the Procedure
Most patients with healthy gum and bone tissue are good candidates for dental implants. The treatment usually requires multiple visits to the dentist over a period of several months as follows:
- First visit: Consultation to determine your suitability for dental implants and tooth/teeth extraction
- Second visit: Surgical placement of the implant into the jawbone. Following the procedure, you should change your diet to soft and cold foods and warm soup to facilitate healing. Healing takes several months.
- Third visit: Placement of the artificial tooth or teeth onto the implant. During the healing process, the dentist will customize a new tooth or crown based on the size, shape, fit, and color of adjacent teeth to give you a uniform smile. When replacing multiple teeth, one implant may be used to support multiple bridges or dentures may be used.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
For patients with unhealthy natural teeth or multiple missing teeth in an arch, the dentist may recommend implant placement to anchor bridges and dentures.
Your dentist may also recommend implants to:
- Fill gaps in your mouth after tooth removal to prevent remaining teeth from shifting
- Restore your speech, chewing, and digestion ability
- Restore your smile
- Restore or enhance your facial features
- Support a denture or bridge for added comfort
- Resolve bite problems or joint pain due to shifting teeth
To learn more about dental implants, schedule your consultation with your dentist in Austin TX today.